Eastern Cyclocross League 2014/15

A place to discuss all things CX
Chris Clague
summary email: no

Eastern Cyclocross League 2014/15

Post by Chris Clague » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:57 pm

Good fun today but I let my random partner start the race. When he trailed round a 5 minute lap in about 7mins fighting over last place with a guy who'd never ridden CX before I figured it was all just a bit of a laugh and I wasn't going to risk my neck over it. Wasn't too taken with the format but generally everyone else thought it was great and aside from the bit where Pat found himself standing between the shouty people it was all good natured fun. The guy who started after me in last place had a blast - he's normally top 10 or better and finished dead last but smiling and I think that says it all.

Maybe for HH we should do a big money, winner takes all Madison

PatHayes
summary email: yes

Re: Eastern Cyclocross League 2014/15

Post by PatHayes » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Connie who is a dreadful stato gleefully told me yesterday that having studied lap times I would have been better off paired with her ( god help me ) that her lap times were nearly same as tony Madgwick and I wouldn't have made top 3 in youth race !!

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Having seen how shouty she gets with you when you're spectating I can't imagine what she'd be like paired up with you ;-)

WillBeresford

Post by WillBeresford » Fri May 29, 2015 7:47 am

Any idea when the 2015/16 dates come out? I'm going to fill my diary with these now i've got no excuse not too!

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Fri May 29, 2015 9:48 am

Fairly soon I expect. Keep an eye on their website and FB page. But basically expect to be busy most Saturdays (or the occasional Sunday) from early Sep to mid Feb.

Funnily enough I was only this morning looking forward to this summer nonsense being over and the proper race season beginning :lol:

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Fri May 29, 2015 11:37 am

I had a provisional calendar a while back, but I'd probably be shot for sharing it. I can however confirm our EL round on 19th September and LL on 20th (which clashes with another EL race again as they ignored our request to keep it clear). We are also hosting the regionals on 6th December.

Hope is that EL riders will help out at the LL round and vice versa. The course will be similar for both, but I'm toying with the idea of reversing it (but not riding down the steps!).

EdwinBurden

Post by EdwinBurden » Sat May 30, 2015 6:47 am

Chris Clague wrote:I had a provisional calendar a while back, but I'd probably be shot for sharing it. I can however confirm our EL round on 19th September and LL on 20th (which clashes with another EL race again as they ignored our request to keep it clear). We are also hosting the regionals on 6th December.

Hope is that EL riders will help out at the LL round and vice versa. The course will be similar for both, but I'm toying with the idea of reversing it (but not riding down the steps!).
Is the 19/20 combo a hog hill double header?

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Sat May 30, 2015 8:41 pm

It is, yes.

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:20 pm

WillBeresford

Post by WillBeresford » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 am

Excellent, thanks Chris!

Note Online entry isn't open for a while so i'll just add to my diary for now.

In people's opinion, which league is better/easier? Central or Eastern?

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:52 am

In people's opinion, which league is better/easier? Central or Eastern?
Of those two most seem to prefer Eastern, but there are others who prefer London and South East. Each have their pros and cons.

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:26 am

The Eastern lot seem the best organised, but if you've raced in any one of them before you'll be gridded which makes a big difference. Stuart's been in the game long enough to get gridded for all the leagues I'd imagine so probably has a more even view than me. If I race London or Central I start at the back, whereas Eastern I'm probably row 3 which makes a huge difference. If you've raced none of them, pick which offers the most races you can get to, it's all a blast!

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:12 pm

My personal and subjective opinion, having been a diehard supporter of the London League until 2 seasons ago and from the V50 start line.

Eastern - excellently organised, results out super fast. But can be too popular for its own good, so if you dont pre-enter you might get turned away. The efficiency sometimes comes at the expense of a relaxed ambience. Some courses veer towards the grass crit side of things.

London - less efficient, more "it'll be alright on the day" which it almost always is. Super friendly vibe. Some great courses (with 1 or 2 shockers depending on your POV) and you get John Mx cheering you on, taking videos and being an all round good bloke.

Central - have only really done the Hillingdon races, which i like. But Oxford and Reading etc are too far away when there is a nearer London or Eastern the same day. Also well organised.

It may well come down to how far you are willing to travel. Plus if you are racing regularly its worth prioritising one league to get a good grid placing and to aim for overall series points.

StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084

Post by StevenDrew » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:21 pm

Stuart wrote:My personal and subjective opinion, having been a diehard supporter of the London League until 2 seasons ago and from the V50 start line.

Eastern - excellently organised, results out super fast. But can be too popular for its own good, so if you dont pre-enter you might get turned away. The efficiency sometimes comes at the expense of a relaxed ambience. Some courses veer towards the grass crit side of things.

London - less efficient, more "it'll be alright on the day" which it almost always is. Super friendly vibe. Some great courses (with 1 or 2 shockers depending on your POV) and you get John Mx cheering you on, taking videos and being an all round good bloke.

Central - have only really done the Hillingdon races, which i like. But Oxford and Reading etc are too far away when there is a nearer London or Eastern the same day. Also well organised.

It may well come down to how far you are willing to travel. Plus if you are racing regularly its worth prioritising one league to get a good grid placing and to aim for overall series points.
I'd agree with all of that although. Definitely worth pre-entering EL although, from memory, there were only two races early in the last season where people got turned away and that was only in the 2 x Vets races. Never a problem in the Senior/Junior race.

StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084

Post by StevenDrew » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:22 pm

PS - have put all the new season dates in a new thread...