London Cyclocross Summer Series

A place to discuss all things CX
Damian Robertson
Mobile phone: 07788123969
summary email: no

Re: London Cyclocross Summer Series

Post by Damian Robertson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:35 am

I've got your number Edwin, ending 619. Will see what's what this afternoon.

Stuart
summary email: yes

Post by Stuart » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:24 pm

Bit of a grass crit tonight by the looks. Don't think I'll be able to make it.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EdwinBurden

Post by EdwinBurden » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:40 pm

Damian Robertson wrote:I've got your number Edwin, ending 619. Will see what's what this afternoon.
Damian- looking iffy that I'll escape at 5 - don't wait for me.

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:08 am

Third round of the Summer Series yesterday evening, back at Bethlem Hospital. The course was a slight variation on that of the first round but again had long grassy stretches across the fields at the back of the site, plus some single track through the woods. The latter were a bit more technical than last time around, in particular a tight downhill S on loose ground.

The run-up was less eventful than two weeks ago (although Caroline managed to break her chain on her way back from work and had to fit in an emergency train journey) and we lined up at the start in good time. The field seemed to be bigger than two weeks ago, certainly in the women's race.

Caroline had a good race, despite dropping her chain repeatedly and at one point having to get off her bike and stretch her cramping legs. I started from the front row but could not quite stay with the front of the race (a week spent in Munich, binging on beer and sausages probably didn't help there). I rode for a while with two other veteran-looking guys, but one crashed and I managed to ride the other one off my wheel and I spent most of the remaining race with a senior and a junior. I finished second vet, which I am very happy with.

We'll miss the last round, but are looking forward to the London league!

ChrisDick
Mobile phone: 07505696244

Post by ChrisDick » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:45 pm

I am planning to come out of 'cross hibernation and get to Herne Hill tonight. Anyone else?

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:57 pm

Unfortunately not me. Been ill for a couple of weeks and only made the first one :cry:

Could be a muddy one tonight chris :lol:

LeonardDelicaet

Post by LeonardDelicaet » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Enjoy, I'll be stuck at work unf.
How slow comes the hour, its passing speed how great

StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084

Post by StevenDrew » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:58 am

Did anyone go to Herne Hill last night? Russ Jones just posted on Facebook that over 40 people "lost" rear mechs :shock:

BruceMackie
Mobile phone: 07831230090

Post by BruceMackie » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:50 pm

I thought it would be a nice evening for a ride so yes is the answer to that. About 70 starters, about 7 finishers. The rain made the top soil muddy, which was ok and worked fine for the U12 and youth race, but the bigger field soon cut through the wet mud and started pulling up dryer soil which then blocked up brakes and mechs, It was a proper 1/2 lap bike change race. I did make decent progress until lap 5 when the front rings started blocking up, quickly followed by the rear and the brakes. I did a few excursions from the course, washing the mess off in some muddy puddles, but the rear mech kept catching. I presumed because a jockey wheel had seized but on cleaning the bike I found a perfectly proportioned stone had jammed it's way in between the derailleur plates and occasionally the end would catch the lower jockey. With a stroppy bike I packed with about 20 mins to go before breaking anything. I think I saw Chris at the side of the course, working out if he could scoot his bike home and Jason Ware, who was in the pits, counted 30 broken mechs then gave up. Russ's estimate of 40 may even be short of the mark. To add insult to injury there was a plague of mosquitos that seem to enjoy feasting on freshly shaven legs.

andrewnewman
Mobile phone: 07890217215

Post by andrewnewman » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:28 am

Yikes. That sounds worse than Haywards Heath. I was on the fence for this one. I have to say, that as a one bike cross racer, I'm glad I gave it a miss. Sounds like even with my Shimano Saint downhiller's uber-mech, I still would have been out of commission in a lap or two.

LeonardDelicaet

Post by LeonardDelicaet » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Epic. I saw the infield today and it looked quite intact. I suppose the outfield was quite bad but didn't look.

Sorry to hear about your mechs, hopefully you'll get some cheap spares.
How slow comes the hour, its passing speed how great

EdwinBurden

Post by EdwinBurden » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:42 am

LeonardDelicaet wrote: Sorry to hear about your mechs, hopefully you'll get some cheap spares.
Kinoko in soho is closing down and has some bargain components at the moment...