London and South East Cyclocross League 2015/16

A place to discuss all things CX
MaxReuter
CX Secretary
summary email: no

Re: London and South East Cyclocross League 2015/16

Post by MaxReuter » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:29 pm

StevenDrew wrote:Be aware you'll need to pay a tenner to join the London League and get a timing chip. I won't begin to try and explain how that works although Chris, Stuart or others might like to have a go.
You fill in a form and get a chip...

We built the course today. Lots of slow grass inside the velodrome and then lots of fast hardpack behind it. All pretty wide, none of that singletrack bollocks that you get in some other places.

I'll see you there tomorrow!

Stuart
summary email: yes

Post by Stuart » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:40 pm

One of my favourite courses. Gutted I can't make it.

WillBeresford

Post by WillBeresford » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:10 am

A good LP turnout yesterday (Max, Caroline, Andrew, Jane, Lucinda and myself + Len in spectating duties) amazing weather, great burgers and even better cake.

I was really looking forward to this, not only was it my first CX race since the summer series, but it was dry, dusty and at the quite technical Herne Hill.

The senior race was off at 2pm, so spectating and cheering duties first. Then off to the start line. The seniors filed was huge. 91 in total (no I didn't count, I just checked the results) with what seemed like a good 30/40 people called forward in the gridding, unfortunately I wasn't one of them, so started some 5 rows back and maybe 45/50 riders deep. Not ideal.

I had eyed up a few riders who had beaten me in the summer series, so was keen to either stay with them or drop them. First lap was the usual issues of traffic and took me 6:35, second lap and it seemed to thin out and my time confirmed this with a 5:41. I was feeling good, the course was riding well and seemed to work for me. I had a good battle with a rider from 5th Floor (Alex Blomley) on the 3rd lap, but managed to get the best of him and put some good distance between him and me. My next 5 laps were pretty much the same in terms of time (5:33 to 5:40) and I was reeling in a large group of 7 riders. On the bell lap I made another push and got a little bit closer but in the end couldn't quite catch them, which was frustrating. I thought maybe, at a push, I finished top 10. Turned out to be 17th and 4:14 off the winner. I reckon I can save a good two minutes by being gridded and following some quicker wheels. We'll see. Overall pretty pleased.

Looking forward to some soft mud though. The blisters on my hands hurt now...

StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084

Post by StevenDrew » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Nice job, guys! Great turnout!

What's happened to Len? Has he retired from CX?

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:17 am

Just to repeat everything that Will already said, a great race in beautiful sunshine in the great atmosphere of the Herne Hill velodrome (even better next year, when the new pavilion should be finished). I was gridded third row and had a bit of pushing and shoving at the start, but got away eventually and started to make my journey forward. Once settled into my position after a lap or two I spent the rest of the race battling with Eastbourne's John Cordner. We swapped places a few times, when he had a slow corner and once when I slipped. I thought I had him when his chain came off. But I think I overdid it with putting the hammer down, probably not helped by too little racing, and he and Eric Blais caught me on the last half lap. I'm still annoyed by that, but happy to see this morning that I still came 8th overall (as did both of the boys in their races).

Caroline had tougher competition this time around as a few young little racing machines had turned up, as well as the Hog Hill winner Laura Greenhalgh who took the win again. But Caroline still managed 4th woman and 1st female vet, so can't complain (and still beats the rest of us hands down...)

Benjamin Knowles
Mobile phone: 07815116025

Post by Benjamin Knowles » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:09 pm

Anyone planning on driving down this Sunday that might be able to give me a lift...? Looks like the trains aren't running from 3 Bridges down, and that's about 30 miles away which is too far to ride on a cross bike before and after a race!

Can travel to wherever suits for pickup.

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:46 pm

If you're league agnostic, the Eastern league is an easy to get to Welwyn on Saturday. You could do both.

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:50 pm

Welwyn is a better course and a far better venue if you are league agnostic

(Happy Valley is my least favourite LL course, but these things are intensely subjective of course)

StevenDrew

Post by StevenDrew » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:00 pm

Yep. Stanborough Park at Welwyn is one my favourites. Do it, Ben!

If you want to race Sunday then the Central League is at Hemel Hempstead which is also probably easier. I'm planning to go there as well but have to leave as soon as I finish to avoid (okay, reduce) domestic conflict so I'll be no use for travel help, etc

Benjamin Knowles
Mobile phone: 07815116025

Post by Benjamin Knowles » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:13 pm

Chris Clague wrote:If you're league agnostic, the Eastern league is an easy to get to Welwyn on Saturday. You could do both.
Hahaha. But I'm going out on Friday night and it seems unlikely I'll get back before the sun comes up, so I'm wondering how wise it is to turn up for my first cross race of the season on no sleep.....will see how I go.

Will look into Hemel on the Sunday - thanks for the heads up!

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:29 pm

If it helps, you wouldn't be racing at Welwyn until 2:30 so plenty of time to recover.

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:34 pm

The first proper cross race of the season yesterday, with a pretty muddy course in Fowlmead. Despite the pleasant weather we had for the races yesterday, the course was very wet, apparently it had rained all week.

The U10/U12 course was a short loop, but had all the mud and short, slippery climbs of the grown-up version. Not sure where Clément came in the U10s (but he is not too fussed about the result anyway), Jules took 5th in the U12, despite a remounting mishap that caused him pain and cost him time.

In our races, Caroline started very well and gained places before going off the tarmac and onto the first uphill single-track section. She then picked riders off and finished an excellent second over all, first veteran woman (and earned the picture honour on the London League website). As usual, no way I could match her. I got off to a good start too, but then squandered it by falling in a sharp turn from mud onto tarmac after about 200m on the first lap. I was up again very quickly, but had to stop again briefly to close the buckle of my stupid Giro shoes and lost quite a few places in the dense first-round field. I spent the rest of the race catching up, finishing 9th in the end.

Followed the endless drive home, plus the endless cleaning of everything. And by the end of that, we probably still hadn't digested the horrible fish and chips we had on the beach in Deal before setting off on our way home...

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Nice one, Max et famille. I generally love the courses at Fowlmead. One of the very best venues for cross. But its a devil of a long way.

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 pm

Yes, the course was great, and worth the long drive. I am not fond of single-track, but it was OK here. Probably because the field was a bit smaller (although unfortunately all the more serious competitors had shown up). And then some nice little climbs, a good off-camber section and lots of challenging corners.

After all my problems with tubs I was running clinchers (Clément MXP) which was OK but probably not ideal (although they have the unpleasant combination of lots of mud with a scattering of sharp stones and roots).

StevenDrew

Post by StevenDrew » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Nice one, Reuter clan.

Pretty sure Fowlmead is nearer Belgium than our house. But yes, I very much enjoy riding it.