London League Team Champs - 1 more rider needed!

A place to discuss all things CX
MaxReuter
CX Secretary
summary email: no

Re: London League Team Champs - 1 more rider needed!

Post by MaxReuter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:35 am

14th place (out of 53) in the team rankings, more than respectable.

Most importantly, though, we showed Caroline where the real racing is done. Dulwich Paragon's best team finished a miserable 15th!

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:40 am

Only 15th - wow. There were loads of them. Had a chuckle with one of their ladies in the start pen. I have never seen anyone so impeccably turned out for a CX race - down to her pristine white shoes. I hazard a guess she'd not done a warm up lap. Next time I saw her she was having a lie down in 6 inches of mud...

Stuart
summary email: yes

Post by Stuart » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:09 am

Chris Clague wrote:Only 15th - wow. There were loads of them. Had a chuckle with one of their ladies in the start pen. I have never seen anyone so impeccably turned out for a CX race - down to her pristine white shoes. I hazard a guess she'd not done a warm up lap. Next time I saw her she was having a lie down in 6 inches of mud...
That is very funny.

Well done to all the intrepid racers. Sounds like a perfect close to the season.

Chris Clague

London League Team Champs - 1 more rider needed!

Post by Chris Clague » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:07 am

Actually Max does us an injustice - we were 7th mixed team. And Dulwich were 12th ;-)

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 am

Chris Clague wrote:Actually Max does us an injustice - we were 7th mixed team. And Dulwich were 12th ;-)
That's true. And some of the mixed teams ahead of us might have been three seniors and a token old fart, while we were three old farts and a token woman. So really an exceptional result, if you think about it!

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:59 am

I think that calls for a drink!

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 pm

Chris Clague wrote:I think that calls for a drink!
Absolutely!

MichelleSellars

Post by MichelleSellars » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Well done all, especially Caroline!!

DanielMcqueen
Mobile phone: 07879 400 303
summary email: yes

Post by DanielMcqueen » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:34 am

As Chris said I got knocked off my bike while stopping before the race even started, by someone riding into me from behind, I was feeling a bit winded and bruised. I didn't feel that much pain until after the race ended. Now turning over in bed is a major undertaking, laughing is no laughing matter, sneezing is out of the question and I'm having trouble getting my shoes off, so I wonder if I have cracked another rib.
The field was so big that I wasn't expecting to be able to race for some time. I was a bit slow to catch on that there was a possibility to ride down the banks where the spectators were standing, and by the time I did the opportunity was over. Pretty much the whole first lap was then one big bottleneck. Looking at the lap times you can see that Caroline and I had first lap times a minute longer than our final laps. Anyway, valuable learning: no matter how far back you are, do anything you can to get as near the front as fast as you can.
The course had everything, muddy farm tracks with submerged bricks, tractor tracks through clay, hardpack, lakes of gloopy mud, greasy tracks, deep leaf mulch. Bright sun, cold, windy and some rain.
6 laps, so some time to work out my lines. I enjoyed the longer distance.
Great course and great team.