Eastern Cyclocross League 2016/17

A place to discuss all things CX
StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084
summary email: no

Re: Eastern Cyclocross League 2016/17

Post by StevenDrew » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Nice one, Bruce. You were looking very good there amongst the youngsters.

So as much as last weekend's effort was a shocker, yesterday was great fun. Short laps of about 5min 45secs meant it was pretty much all action with a fine example of Eastern League grass motorway mixed with some woodland, some sweeping twisty bits through some scrubland and a gravel drag up to the finish line. Slippery in places rather than muddy but enough for the season's first outing of a full Limus tyre option.

For once, I started nicely and got away in the top 10. Lost a couple of places on the first lap as the racing settled down but then moved past a couple of perennial Eastern League top 10-ers in Nick Cook (Ipswich) and Ian Newby (Diss) and set about reeling in anyone within eyeshot up ahead. About half way through, I'd distanced Nick by about 30 seconds and could see Barney Horne and Mike Mooney about the same distance ahead. Heck, at the the right points of the course I could even see Damian battling at the kop van de wedstrijd. Anyhow, a bit effort on the final laps almost got me to Barney but we got tangled up with a couple of lapped riders just before the finish and he managed to get a second on me to hold on to 7th as we sprinted up the gravel to the finish, behind Mike who was a couple of seconds further ahead.

8th place then which was very pleasing. Just over a minute behind Damian who rolled in for a great 3rd. A good day.

BruceMackie
Mobile phone: 07831230090
summary email: yes

Post by BruceMackie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:02 pm

The Evil Eyes... Rob's snaps of the boys at Ipswich

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Back to Ipswich again this week but Trinity Park this time. Nice quick course with no hills to drag our Xmas laden bodies over.

Managed my best result of the season only tempered by failing to unclip for the steps on the last lap and getting cramp so I lost 2 places I should have held easily which is a shame.

Bruce, clearly feeling older this week opted for V50s while Neil was clearly just indecisive and rode that AND the seniors. Damian hobbled himself by cracking a rib and still getting a result I'd have been happy to retire with.

I'll leave them to file their reports..

Neil
Mobile phone: 07958 570752

Post by Neil » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:44 pm

With no Eastern League position to defend my thoughts were more on next w/end's Nat. Champs hence entering V50 and Seniors and starting both as last across the start line. Just playing really. I managed 14 laps and the 13th was the fastest of them. Is that a good sign? We'll see.

Damian - ouch, how? and are you out for next w/end?

BruceMackie
Mobile phone: 07831230090

Post by BruceMackie » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:12 am

Only rode the 50s this time as had the family with me as we returned from friends in Suffolk and there was a limit to how much patience would be shown. Started 2nd row behind Dave C which was an error as we went backwards as he starts slow. In about 20th by the 1st corner but made a few places until Geoff crashed coming out of the bomb hole taking both myself and John McDowall with him, once back up and running the front of the race was gone and it was a case of working up the pecking order but couldn't quite make it up to Ian Robson so got stuck in 8th place. Course was very greasy for the youth and V50s so there was a lot of tip toeing around some of the corners. It seemed to improve in the last lap so started to get a bit faster. Short lap + larger than normal entry meant it was a bit like revisiting an old London League race when everyone used to set off together making for lots of back marker action.

Damian Robertson
Mobile phone: 07788123969

Post by Damian Robertson » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:54 am

14 laps and the last the fastest sounds like excellent preparation for the Nationals Neil! Nose-diving and somersaulting while mtb'ing on Boxing day at Gisburn forest, not such good prep. Shoddy careless riding, bashed myself up but only later realised the bigger damage was to a rib or two. I rode Macclesfield the following day and kind of did ok (rode up to second place with only Nick Craig out front which was exciting) but tailed off a bit on the second half. Difficult to turn yourself inside out with a bruised or cracked rib. Hence, why I didn't win at Trinity park too!? :) Or perhaps that was down to an extraordinary field of top southern riders; Mike Simpson, Andy Taylor, Shaun Aldous, Rob Purcell, Roger Maidment.. I got through the first few corners with them until the pace was lifted as it would, briefly jostled for sixth with Paul Groombridge, but succumbed, then to Nick Cook and another Ipswich rider before the end. Still, nursing injuries and yes, NYE excesses I was happy to ride and a good course it was, in great conditions! Well, a bit more mud (and hills) might have improved it a bit but there was sufficient squirming on my griffos.

Planning my departure from this city soon, with some beers on the last two Thursdays of this month, on the 19th at The Duke's Head in Highgate and the 26th dunno yet. Been great racing in the south with LP and others but time to go and try and chase down those big northern names! :D

Been wondering whether I should give up my space on Saturday in Bradford for someone else less hobbled, but alas this morning thinking I'll just suck up the pain and race! Will try and make it for 11am to assist with pitting for you Neil and or Bruce. Are conditions really likely to be two bike racing?