North West CX League

A place to discuss all things CX
Chris Clague
summary email: no

North West CX League

Post by Chris Clague » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Thought I'd do a recce of the NW league to gather some intel for Damian. Plus a chance to race while visiting family and in a field next to my old school.

Not having been racing anywhere near long enough to be certain of these things, I suspect this is what people refer to when they talk about 'old' CX. Riding round a large sloping field on which it appeared a large number of badgers had been having a rave the night before. Made for some interesting and bumpy lines to make up places. Gridding was odd, but at least they did it this time - 8 wide on a field wide enough for about 40. Started near the back in a field of 135 and managed to finish in the front half for the first time this season, with a few battles along the way.

Slightly chaotic race with two crazy long super steep and slippery descents. If you touched the brakes you were off and if you didn't you might still be off anyway, or else you were at the mercy of the competence of others. Great fun. Fortunately had my massive toe spikes which gained me many places on the long, shouldered climbs in ankle deep mud. I see the appeal of this style of racing, and coupled with the 5 minute ride 'home' it seemed quite a luxury. Recommended if you find the southern leagues a bit too organised and predictable.

Stuart
summary email: yes

Re: North West CX League

Post by Stuart » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:51 pm

if you find the southern leagues a bit too organised and predictable.
Your view of the London league has clearly changed :lol:

That all does sound a lot of fun though