3 Peaks Cyclo Cross 2017

A place to discuss all things CX
DanielMcqueen
Mobile phone: 07879 400 303
summary email: yes

Re: 3 Peaks Cyclo Cross 2017

Post by DanielMcqueen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:59 am

I started run training in August and immediately injured my achilles which due to a combination of overdoing it and neglecting rehab, became chronic tendinopathy, so was unable to do ANY further run training. Even if I had been running fit I am not sure that it would have helped, there was no running, only tramping up 45º inclines, limited by the speed of the person in front or the cramp in my quads.

The bit that was hardest for me was riding down hill across open peat bog, or very rocky rutted steep tracks. For this I aim to train on the worst possible mud fest routes, any of James Stevens' preferred routes should be fine for this. Back ache was a problem carrying my bike up, and finding a good method, so you can keep your back and neck in a good position and which doesn't force your neck into flexion. Back strength and stability are important. The other bit was general endurance, I was very tired and sore by the end, with lots of leg cramps, quads, hamstrings, adductors.
Working out what food/drink to take is important. I got cramp in my quads on the second ascent, in my hamstrings on the second descent, and in my adductors on the third descent. There were some periods of uncontrollable shivering, quite a lot of falls and head impacts, I got dazed and muddled. I plan to take more salty snacks this time.

My bottom gear was 29/36 (33"). I could only have used something lower on Pen-y-Ghent, but even then it would probably only have meant being able to ride an extra 100-200m and to be honest, I don't think that trudging was that much slower, it didn't feel like a big loss. I did have the kit to go 32/34 (28"). I am not sure that it would have been worth the bother to go from 33" to 28".
You definitely don't want to get punctures, a potent recipe for hypothermia in the wrong spot. Thick wide butyl inner tubes and land cruisers for me. I would even consider sealant - but I doubt that thick wide butyl tubes have removable cores - does anyone know otherwise?
It is great. I can't wait.

DanielMcqueen
Mobile phone: 07879 400 303

Post by DanielMcqueen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 pm

StevenDrew wrote:I've heard a few people saying they run up flights of stairs. Not are how far you are from Ally Pally but that would definitely help. Up from the Supercross start to the main road worked well for me. Bear in mind, you'll never get much beyond a trudge so the key is to just get used to having your bike on your shoulder for 45 mins...

The bit I never considered is the part Wayne Crombie outlined to you. Downhill on the steps of Whernside (?) was, for me, just horrible. I had no idea what to do on parts of that so I'd also suggest finding some decent off-road riding and practising going DOWNHILL. That was the bit where I was way out of my depth.
I thought that I was going to break bones when I came off trying to overtake coming off Pen-y-Ghent, racing downhill on rocky rutted tracks. Not enough MTB in me...

Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430

Post by Steve Hanks » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:02 pm

TamalaMcgee wrote:Training in Wales next week. I must be able to find some terrifying downhill stuff there (to walk down!)
Next weekend? On the MTB? Come to Minehead and do the Scott Marathon with us.

TamalaMcgee

Post by TamalaMcgee » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Next weekend? On the MTB? Come to Minehead and do the Scott Marathon with us.[/quote]

Am taking road, CX and MTB! But definitely staying in Wales. I need to get a Celtic Beasting.

I am simply loving all the horror stories. I originally thought Wayne Crombie was doing macho kiwi exagerrating but then Steven told me how he'd struggled and then I knew. I shall cross train (in August with Cuban trained boxers!) and concentrate primarily on fitness as I know I can't acquire the requsiste bike skills in time, they take a childhood to hone and that boat sailed a long time ago.

TamalaMcgee

Post by TamalaMcgee » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:45 am

So you basically cycle (only you don't right?) up and down that or another like that then a bit of road x3?

Gearing? At present I have 46/36 11-28
I won't ask about tyres or pressure! Not yet anyway!

StevenDrew
Mobile phone: 07809296084
summary email: no

Post by StevenDrew » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:21 pm

TamalaMcgee wrote:So you basically cycle (only you don't right?) up and down that or another like that then a bit of road x3?

!
Yeah, that's it. You will trudge slowly up it in an orderly queue. Very British! And then throw yourself down the other side. The descents are definitely where there are time gains to be made and where it's worth practising. This didn't cross my mind and I was utterly unprepared for it. A few times I actually stopped just to watch the lines being taken by others and even got off and ran / walked because it felt safer. Clearly the cost of new teeth was still in my head ;-).
TamalaMcgee wrote: Gearing? At present I have 46/36 11-28
I won't ask about tyres or pressure! Not yet anyway!
Personally, whilst i could see the benefit of 1:1 gearing, I wouldn't be assed changing what you've got there. 36x28 would've been my smallest gear last year until I buckled the back wheel coming off Ingleborough and thus I couldn't shift beyond the 25t cog without it rubbing too much. This was a bit of a pain in the ass trying to get up Pen-y-Ghent but probably made little difference to my mediocre performance. I'm sure others would disagree but I'd spend my time practising running / trudging up Ally Pally with a bike on your shoulder or descending some dubious looking meadows rather than fiddling with gears that much.

I know you don't want to know about tyres and pressure yet so don't read this bit. but Schwalbe Land Cruisers seem to be the tyre of choice for many people and are cheap as chips. They look and feel awful but are pretty puncture resistant and seem to work. And to confirm this is not actually a cyclocross race, you pump them up as hard as they will go. So probably about 70psi, I guess.

WillBeresford

Post by WillBeresford » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 pm

You don't really ride the climbs, you run/walk them, hence why Rob Jebb (Fell Runner) wins/comes 2nd most of the time. Gearing wise you'll be fine.

Tyres - You'll want Schwalbe Land Cruiser. Pressure wise, I was about 70-80psi. The LAST thing you want is a puncture.

Get some padding for under your frame, on your shoulder, and practice carrying your bike for 30 minutes.

Most of all, it's properly awesome!

TamalaMcgee

Post by TamalaMcgee » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:32 am

Sounds epic....here we go again! Thanks

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:22 am

So not tubeless at 20 psi for the descents and an air canister to get you to 80psi for the road sections then? Or is that too modern and likely to get you thrown out?

WillBeresford

Post by WillBeresford » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Terrible idea. 80psi all the way, its part of the fun.

TamalaMcgee

Post by TamalaMcgee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:47 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Hluv6Nzwg

Watching face plants a plenty.

TamalaMcgee

Post by TamalaMcgee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:00 pm

And Stuart sent me this one that I can't get the link for but it's on FB and it shows all that is wonderful about Blighty, specifically the North: Yorkshiremen, flasks of tea, clipboards, risk of rain, collie dogs, sitting down, laughing at people falling over and epic stuff on moors and John Noakes.

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:47 pm

WillBeresford wrote:Terrible idea. 80psi all the way, its part of the fun.
Wait - you said fun?

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 am

It's fun when you look back. After a month or two :lol:

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Tam, some pointers in here. The anticipation and preparation is half the fun. If not more :D

https://hackneygt.com/blogs/news/3-peak ... cross-race