Eastern CX League - 2017/18

A place to discuss all things CX
BruceMackie
Mobile phone: 07831230090
summary email: yes

Re: Eastern CX League - 2017/18

Post by BruceMackie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm

Back to Hillyfields in Colchester again, in spite of overnight rain it was extraordinarily dry. The Amis Velo crew had done an amazing in clearing the woodland sections and as a consequence the course was really quick with my Garmin registering 47.9kph as my top speed. Front row again but last to be called which put me straight into a somewhat overgrown line but managed to hold position even as Dave C. sensibly pushed me into the long grass as we made the first turn and ride up the steep bank that's such a feature of the course. Slotted in behind him but his technical woodland riding is not so strong and a gap appeared up to Jimmy Pipper, Richard Muchmore and Steve Mahon. Further into the woodland I managed to squeeze past and then put in a big effort to close the gap to the leading 3. Just tacked on as we hit the steep climb out of the bottom corner. The course was so dry that this was consistently ridable but Steve made an uncharacteristic error, stalling on the climb and I was able to take a novel line and get past. Unfortunately i couldn't close the resultant gap to Jimmy and Richard and they started to get away a bit in spite me giving it everything. The only plus was that I was doing similar damage to Steve who was trying to chase. In retrospect I probably went a bit too hard for too long at this point and started to pay. About 1/2 way through Jimmy punctured and I passed him in the pits, but 2nd place wasn't going to last long and Jimmy managed to drag Dave and Steve back up to me for good measure. Dave made it past on one of the open sections and I wasn't able to keep his wheel but still kept pulling him back of the technical which is pretty much how it stayed to the end. I managed to run an almost faultless race but blotted my copybook right near the end, I think catching a tub sidewall coming out of one the ditches whilst overtaking a back marker, instant deflation but it was rear so I was able to nurse it to the finish and had just enough time in hand to keep Steve at bay.

Other than Jimmy and Richard, who seem to be ahead of the rest of the field, there seems to be a very similar level of ability with the next 10 places being anybodies. 1 small mistake and you're well down the field, it's certainly not an unpressured environment.

BruceMackie

Post by BruceMackie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Well, 5 hour round trip for a 40 minute turbo session? Diss is miles from anywhere and Redgrave is even further. You know it's bad when you pass the sugar processing plant at Bury and realise you've still got a good 1/2 hour's driving to go. Anyway, for the 2nd time now, no road section which did used to break things up a bit and allow you to splash through the puddles and clear the bike a bit. Instead just lots zig zagging round a very soft field which absorbed as much power as you could possibly put out without any measurable reward of forward motion. I took to running sections because it was just plain quicker and broke things up a bit. the continual turning meant overtaking was difficult to achieve but made it easy to hold people up. Stark contrast to Sunday's Trophy round at Cyclopark.

BruceMackie

Post by BruceMackie » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:35 pm

A trip to Chantry park to revisit old Trophy venues was on the cards today but the massed ranks of the BMW owners club seemed to have other ideas variously driving their cars at an assortment of immovable objects thus blocking most routes between London and Ipswich so gave up after a couple of hours turned round and went home. If you thought attempting to drive to Ipswich for a 40 min race in todays conditions was foolish I then went one better by instead spending 5 hours in Epping forest on a single speed mountain bike. Ended up doing the return leg from High Beach in the dark for added excitement. The snow was magical, the cold and wet somewhat less so. Here's hoping next weekend's race at Newmarket is a little easier to get to.

Photo by Simon Pemberton

Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430

Post by Steve Hanks » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Yesterday was the day Bruce. All frozen and like summer trails...

Chris Clague
summary email: no

Post by Chris Clague » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:36 pm

Should have come to Frylands. Snow, ice, all of it but surprisingly accessible.

We had one rider who rode past looking very dazed and missed a corner. We shouted at him but he was gone. Two runners caught him before he fell and carried him to the timing tent where we covered him in as many clothes as we could find until he started to come around. Hardcore.

Epic day - even Hugo rode (my bike).