London and SE League 2017/18

A place to discuss all things CX
Chris Clague
summary email: no

London and SE League 2017/18

Post by Chris Clague » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Time to kick off a new season for the London League.

Hadn't really intended to do this one but got roped into helping out so made it conditional on being able to ride. I spent most of Saturday flailing around with hydraulic fluid and trying to poke hoses through an internally routed frame. It was harder than it should have been, but the combined factor of that and the new shifters required (11spd - don't judge me) was quite a transformation. It really did bring me up hard against my limit vs the bike; the bike is amazing and I am not. It's lighter, the shifting is super smooth and the brakes are fantastic. Race was really more about fettling it to my liking and remembering how to ride CX again.

Anyway, with zero training and spending too much time trying to kick the league into some sort of shape it was never going to be pretty. It was a bit slippy so I took some more air out before going to the grid. Bike handled like a pig. Did 3 laps like that, just about staying upright on each corner and taking a bit of a pasting. With nothing to lose I made a pit stop to try some more air in the front tyre - it was at 6psi!! that's way too pro for me. Another lap was much improved so stopped again and put some more in the rear too - can't for the life of me explain why I didn't do both at one stop. The nice part about this was that I got to play with the fast guys whilst trying not to get in their way too much. Bike was much better now and headed into the last lap picking up a fair few places. Into the muddy hollow for the last time and up the sharp banking and I managed to over shift into the spokes - argh! That was it for me, it was jammed so I called it a day. Couldn't really see the point in running 3/4 of a lap to score last place. Though it's about where they placed me. Will do wonders for my grid ranking ;-)

Max, and particularly Caroline seemed to fare rather better - I will leave it to them to tell their stories.

Not sure when I'll get to race this league next - spending too much time commissairing.

Stuart
summary email: yes

Re: London and SE League 2017/18

Post by Stuart » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:33 pm

You love it though

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:56 pm

I do. It almost feels like I’m running it some days

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:01 pm

It damn sure looks like you are

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:58 pm

I see that the seniors race for tomorrow at HH sold out at 100 places. Everybody hunting for points while the sharks go to Derby.

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:53 pm

Ok - something happened to CX this year. Everywhere I look there’s crazy numbers of people doing it now. We had 450 registered riders on Sunday. Eastern League could match that if they allowed unlimited entry. Central always get loads.

Sunday I was commissairing over at Leeds Castle. It was a bit epic - the bog (which I spent far too long standing in before we had to close it) was quite something, and the wall was a massive shouldered climb worthy of the 3 peaks. A really hard course on a cold and windy day but everyone loved it. This one should be on your list of races to do - proper old-skool CX.

Family Reuter were out in force as usual - with Jules winning his category and Caroline finishing second.

Next week is cyclopark on the course to be used for national trophy so we’re expecting another big field. This time I’m in charge of race timing. No pressure there then. Bring it.

Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430

Post by Steve Hanks » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:59 am

Might see you there as a spectator / pit crew Chris.