Single chainring options

A place to discuss all things CX
Astrid Wingler
summary email: yes

Single chainring options

Post by Astrid Wingler » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Cork calling...
We've now got a Munster Cyclocross League, and I was intending to do some of the races. Unfortunately, things didn't quite go according to plan (lack of fitness, lack of time, illness), and when I finally looked forward to having some fun in the mud, my bike was no longer up to it. My drive train is quite worn out and I probably need a new rear mech and inner chainring (in addition to chain and cassette). However, I'm still keen to give it a go next winter. Since I've been having problems with the front mech anyway and only really use the small chainring in races, maybe it's time to switch to a single chainring option.
I'd probably need a 40T chainring and a rear mech that can cope with a 32T sprocket.
Any recommendations?
Thanks!
Astrid

andrewnewman
Mobile phone: 07890217215

Re: Single chainring options

Post by andrewnewman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:18 am

Hi Astrid,

Hope all is well in Cork. I think 1x makes a lot of sense for CX. Probably the simplest thing to do would be to buy a SRAM Force or Rival groupset that's intended for that purpose. However, that assumes you're on disc brakes, and I can't remember if that's the case. If not, I did a Shimano budget conversion on one of my road bikes a couple of years ago, and it works just fine. You'll need a single chainring up front with alternating wide and narrow teeth. I got mine from Wolf Tooth components and fit it to a 105 chainset with no problems. In the back you'll want a long cage derailleur to accommodate the 32 tooth sprocket. They now make clutched models at Ultegra level, which would be my preferred option. I just used a regular model, but road bikes have an easier shifting life.

In terms of gearing, there are lots of online ratio calculators. Try this one: http://www.bikecalc.com/gear_ratios That will give you some indication of what chainring/cassette combination will give you a similar low gear to what you're using now. For example, a 40X32 is about the same as 36X29, so likely pretty close to your two ring CX setup.

Good luck. Let us know how it pans out.

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:08 pm

They now make clutched models at Ultegra level, which would be my preferred option. I just used a regular model, but road bikes have an easier shifting life.
Swapped my non-clutch Ultegra for an XT when I converted my CX to more of a gravel build - needed a longer cage to cope with 11-42 cassette. XT works very nicely and would recommend it.

Hello from Girona, Astrid!

Astrid Wingler

Post by Astrid Wingler » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks both. I'll have a look what individual components cost compared to a drivetrain groupset. I'm still on cantis...

Our club is organising the Irish cyclocross champs this year, which is quite exciting!

I hope all is good in Crouch End and Girona!