Dusk til Dawn 12hr Thetford Forest Report

MTB races, enduros and other organised events
Simon
summary email: yes

Dusk til Dawn 12hr Thetford Forest Report

Post by Simon » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:56 pm

We had a team for this! Myself, Niall O'Briain and Rob Moore taking time out from the ProTour series to ride around in the dark with us. This is a 12 hour night race 8pm to 8am for teams or solo riders. We came 9th in 3 Man Team cat. Excellent race super fast course despite the deluge in the afternoon which we were cursing after weeks of summer weather but the ground was so dry it just soaked it all up and left lots of fast dry singletrack iced with some long double track stonks that suited the 29 wheels nicely :D it was a good result but tinged with some frustration as my main light kept dropping off on one lap! Couldn't figure it but eventually realised my number board was vibrating against the release button!! Such bad luck as after the 4th or 5th time it wouldn't switch back on apparently because dirt had got into the smart port telling it to switch off whenever I switched it on. So I did half a lap with only a headlight all of which cost us about 5 mins and dropped us from 6th where we'd been since I did the opening lap.

Mental atmosphere though a real buzz. Huge moon in a totally clear star filled night sky was quite surreal as you came out of singletrack into the open to see a huge moon sitting almost on the horizon in front of you. Tight twisty trails ducking through tightly packed trees huge with little green LED lights in places and a heavy frost turning the whole forest white at 5 am made for a surreal experience. All that water also meant a lot of heavy mist too so your lights bounce back in your face and blind you in places and make it quite hairy doing flying laps in the team race.

Great buzz anyway. Highly recommend the Thetford Winter Series coming up. If you're based in the East it's probably easier to get to than the Brass Monkey so get on down.

Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430

Re: Dusk til Dawn 12hr Thetford Forest Report

Post by Steve Hanks » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Nice, well done everyone!

WillBeresford

Post by WillBeresford » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Good result in what is a strong category! I still can't get the 2012 mud out my mind (or clothes) :roll:

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Sounds great fun. Its a long time since me and AlexC blasted the pairs cat, but i still remember how much fun it was. Well done on the result - top 10 excellent given the circs.

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Stuart wrote:Sounds great fun. Its a long time since me and AlexC blasted the pairs cat, but i still remember how much fun it was. Well done on the result - top 10 excellent given the circs.

Ha Ha Stuart you are always talking about the time you and Alex did pairs :wink: get your arse down there you know you want to so badly it hurts. No MTB no soul! :D

here's a reminder of how much you love it!
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0100.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:27 pm

Reclining in my bathchair, reliving former glories in my dotage...

Yes it looks fun and racing at Thetford at night is especially fun, more so than in daylight tbh.

But i was getting on the podium elsewhere for the 2nd week running (and not a school playground in sight before you mentione it :wink: )

NiallOBriain

Post by NiallOBriain » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Good report Simon. You even managed to sneak a photo of me in :-S

You forgot to mention the fun part of not sleeping a whole night!

It was good fun! Would do it again :-)