Trying out MTB racing

MTB races, enduros and other organised events
AndyKeene
summary email: no

Re: Trying out MTB racing

Post by AndyKeene » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:32 pm

I've got an enormous-wheeled knobbly-tyred thing on order, so will be looking for some off-road action this year...

MhairiMackenzie
summary email: yes

Post by MhairiMackenzie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. Based on this I'm just going to find something I can make and go for it. I have a 2008 hookooekoo which will do me well enough to have shot I think.

MhairiMackenzie

Post by MhairiMackenzie » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

I used to ride the 7 stands in Scotland. When you're talking technical bits what is it like compared to that?

Simon

Post by Simon » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Hey Mhairi if you can ride trail centres don't worry about it there's nothing to trouble you around here. You won't even notice it. It's only wet or muddy conditions that can make it tricky in places over roots or in ruts plus the occasional bomb hole. You've always got solid trails in trail centres but muddy forests you'll have to learn to slide around a bit! Tyres and tyre pressures make a big difference as usual. If it's wet/muddy reduce your tyre pressures - 30psi or lower even if your light -and you won't have to go too nobbly on the tyres and you'll still get grip without slowing you down too much humping a big nobbly tyre around. Have fun anyway! Let us know how you get on 8)

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Hey Mhairi, just in case you're looking here are the details for the Eastern XC series. Seven rounds left running til Sept so plenty of choice.

details http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/?series_id=262

Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430

Post by Steve Hanks » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:43 pm

I've just ridden round 1. Not very technical, but fairly flat and 90 minutes of pedalling like a madman on damp loam even the slight upwards damp singletrack was starting to get mentally drain after 90 mins. I think ive finished top 3rd of 60 in Vets, despite being the first race back after the chest infection and no real riding in Feb chest so hopefully I march onwards and upwards in the next round.

Competition is stiff though, with Nick Craig and pals riding.

Simon

Post by Simon » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:02 pm

Great you're back on your bike. I'm only just getting over that flu myself. First week of proper trainingfor a month. I'll defo do a few of these. Sounds good. BC points bringing Nick Craig out then. I put a thread up on forum for it.