Scott Marathons...

MTB races, enduros and other organised events
Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430
summary email: yes

Scott Marathons...

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon May 28, 2018 9:32 am

Last year I’d has a first taste at these. 4 x Marathon XC 4hr/80k races around the UK in Builth Wells, Wantage, Exmoor and the Hope Valley. After that, this year i’d decided to shift my aim away from XCO (90 Min) racing and get into 4hrs, and that has been the focus of my winter training - reverse periodised @Andy Keene ;)

An outcome of reverse periodisation is that you end up with zone 2/ long rides just before your first race so aren’t “sharp”. So with XCO being my B priority I’ve raced a few of those with disappointing results despite be “up” in power or numbers in training. May was the end of my training block, with BeMC being the final bit of specific endurance to tip me into the abyss. Not be as competitive as the year before is quite hard mentally.

Well, my coach had told me with my taper I’d bounce onto the Wantage Scott Marathon this weekend (Sunday 27th), and bounce I did. I feel unbelievably strong, tapping out my numbers to remain on the border of Threshold / Vo2 max by HR and not busting into the red, after hour 3 I felt amazing. I was sat in a group who kept pulling away on the climbs but I stubbornly stayed on my numbers, coming back to the time after time. In the end, I went past each of the group members as they fragmented in the last 20k, pausing to have a brief chat with one guy who was out on his feet.

Helped by a dry swooping course, after the third hour I was still full of beans and then saw “10k to go” sign! At this point I had loads - too much - left so went into XCO mode and powered through to the finish - 24th of 126 Vet finishers with the top end of the field being an assortment of UK MTB elite (Paul Oldham for example), average speed 22kmph off road. I had a lie down in the stinging nettles twice and with a bit more education based on this ride I know I could have shaved a few minutes off so good learning for next time.

Good to bump into Alan who also appears to have done well on the day.

P.S now back in the fold as a fully fledged LP. :)
Last edited by Steve Hanks on Mon May 28, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyKeene
summary email: no

Re: Scott Marathons...

Post by AndyKeene » Mon May 28, 2018 9:50 am

Well done matey!

With all that reverse perioding (or whatever) you should try a grand tour! You might stage the biggest comeback since Lazarus in the third week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon May 28, 2018 10:21 am

Lol!

LeonardDelicaet

Post by LeonardDelicaet » Tue May 29, 2018 9:54 am

Congrats on the ride! I learned a lot from your write up, that's for going into detail about how you apply your training and your knowledge of your limits etc. V interesting!

When's your next one?
How slow comes the hour, its passing speed how great

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Tue May 29, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks Len.

Next ones 1st July, although the long journey (Minehead) and the fact I’m higher in the Eastern league than expected and have one eye on 2019 for gridding is making me think I might swap it for an Eastern League XC race. Then I have a 12hr in July.

It’s been hard to trust the training as me and my coach learn about each other, especially with early season results and performances being poor which he knew, yet I felt mentally drained by amidst the hard work.

I know for the next one though I have to step on the gas slightly earlier, so again an adjustment in my pacing.

danielwolman
Club secretary
summary email: no

Post by danielwolman » Tue May 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Great result. Well done stan

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary
Mobile phone: 07811409238

Post by JackCurzon » Thu May 31, 2018 10:30 am

Really pleased for you Stan. Definitely sounds like the coach and his plan paid off. Chapeau!
"Great minds think alike, idiots seldom differ"
Mobs: 07811 409238