Pivot 24/12 - Pain, hills and wind.

MTB races, enduros and other organised events
Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430
summary email: yes

Pivot 24/12 - Pain, hills and wind.

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:35 pm

I was a bit hesitant to write this up because its a bit of a failure really, but anyway...

This year I'd entered the 12 hours Vets solo My fitness and endurance had improved so of 120 entrants and with some practice of pacing in Epping forest I was confident of a top 10 finish. It looked forecast to be Sunny from Wednesday onward, yet that managed to change to "light rain" on Friday afternoon - no problem because Friday is about erecting a tent and eating lots - and Sunday - also no problem as I'd finish midnight Saturday. Oh if only we'd all known what was to come...

Practise Friday evening came with a shock - they'd shortened the traditional lap from 1hr and 100m climbing, to 30 mins and 200m climbing. The first half/20 mins was all up, starting with a 300m 20% gravel climb, finishing with a varying 5-12% before we rolled into the Singletrack at top of the woods, and rolled downward. As it'd been so dry, all the downhill rocks and roots were very exposed, fast and therefore very rough - I managed to clock 48kmph down the roots and rocks at one point over the weekend - on the very edge of control in places.

So on Saturday at 11:30 I sat 4 rows from the front of 1000 riders, waiting to be swamped by the fast "team" riders taking turns for laps. I sat at my desired pace and using HR as I'd practised in training as a sub for power to avoid going in the red, proceeded. About 4 laps in - or 40k/4hrs my shoulder an lower back problems erupted with a vengeance, perhaps because of the sheer roughness of the descent. Luckily I'd stashed some high power Ibuprofen on my trackside solo table, so stopped to swallow those. I'd end up taking twice the daily recommended amount before I'd finish. On I went. A couple of rain showers passed, and at 6hrs the 20% climb began to fell very difficult indeed. Many people were walking, a lot were muttering on the 9% "recovery" after that. It became a matter of willpower to get to the halfway mark and defeat the climbing, and try to enjoy the descending. My arms and wrists though were also starting to hurt a lot. I soldiered on, but by now my neck pain was back and gradually it was stubbornly refusing to turn to the left. I was riding anything non-technical rolling my neck and shoulders trying to work it free. However, I was still on pace, and after 70k, heard my name announced as 7th Solo Vet - I was really pleased.

Strong focus on the first few laps, 7th Vet:

ImageDSC06672-X3

But alas then the hills kicked in. I got to the bottom of the 20% climb and my head went down. It took ages to get up the hill, struggling in 32/50 without being able to stand due to the gravel, but I refused to walk on what was my 11th time up. All the climbing became relentless, and the start stabbing pains were get too much to bear. As I came down again, I noticed my grip on my left side was weaker, and with 106k ridden, decided to "pit" and do some stretches. Well, I got off the bike and found I couldn't move! My back was stuck in a cycling shape, and it took much manoeuvring to stand up straight. Then it got much, much worse.

Edit: lap 4 (I can tell by the bottle I'm using):

ImageDSC07484-X3

As I sat replacing my bottle and trying to chew food I knew I needed but had no appetite for, a wind started to blow. Then, it started pouring with rain, literally dampening my enthusiasm. I decided to wait the shower out, continue stretching and then make an exit for the last 4 hours. However, as it turned out the rain didn't stop for the next 16 hours, and the winds got up to 50mph in gusts, leaving us hoping the tents would survive the night. Anyway, with this starting and with lights on the bike / helmet I tried to get on the bike and just couldn't, my whole back protesting in pain. Annoyingly and sadly then, knowing I had the pace and endurance for a top 10 finish, I was forced to quit after 8.5hrs on the bike, 1000mg of ibruprofen, 106km, 2100m of climbing and 7000 cals lost.

This one is after 90k. You can see I'm struggling to keep my head up. That corner is about 30kmph - you came in really hot, had to narrowly brush that tree trunk without hitting it, then glide out - it was a negative camber loose corner...

ImageDSC08572-X3

My disappointment was underscored by enduring a night in gale force winds and torrential rain, then packing away and 7am for what turned out to be a 6h journey home through the rain. Tiring to say the least.

Oh well, nearly but not quite eventually ending at 32 of 65 finishers from 120 starters - yes a 50% DNF rate which attests to the conditions. I discovered later that a lot of 12 & 24hr solos have bitterly complained to the organisers that putting 200m of climbing every 30 mins is a stretch too far at that duration. Time to see a chiropractor, as this whole shoulder/back issue is wearing very thin now, and maybe think about next years race, which I should be good for.

Other than that, the weekend was great as usually with free beer from the Dartmoor Brewery, lives bands in the festival tent, wood smoked pizza's, a Thai express bar and the usual collection of pop up bike shops with well over 1000 tents in the field. Brilliant, worth a weekend away.

AndyKeene
summary email: no

Re: Pivot 24/12 - Pain, hills and wind.

Post by AndyKeene » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:55 pm

Sounds like a good effort in the circumstances! Reminds of a crit I once did at Hog Hill. The lower part of the circuit was flooded, so we just ended up going up and down the Hoggenberg. Painful and soul destroying.

Careful with those OTC pharma's though dude! I hear painkillers can make injuries a whole lot worse if taken whilst exercising and possibly cause internal damage too.

Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Yeah cheers Andy. Head says one thing, adrenaline another.

I may have to end the season early to get my back fixed, racing on painkillers is very bad. I'm seeing the chiropractor Thursday for a verdict.

AndyKeene
summary email: no

Post by AndyKeene » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:31 pm

Short term pain for long term gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary
Mobile phone: 07811409238

Post by JackCurzon » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:58 am

What a write up Stan, much enjoyed. Really sorry to hear your back let you down as I’m sure your fitness wouldn’t have. You certainly know how to go deep into the pain cave! A 200m climb in a 30 minute lap sounds very excessive and frankly not much fun for such a long event. Hope the organisers learnt a lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Great minds think alike, idiots seldom differ"
Mobs: 07811 409238