MSG series 2019

MTB races, enduros and other organised events
Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430
summary email: yes

Re: MSG series 2019

Post by Steve Hanks » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:56 am

I need to ride 4hrs, so a loop I guess, maybe inviting Ed along.

Alternatively I need intensity so I may go for a Zwift race rather than travel to Henham. Although there is Southern XC in Winchester.

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary
Mobile phone: 07811409238

Post by JackCurzon » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:59 am

Afraid don’t think I’ll be able to get out for planned (off) road trip this weekend, since doing SERRL duties next Sunday.
"Great minds think alike, idiots seldom differ"
Mobs: 07811 409238

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:21 pm

In ended up doing a Zwift race for training. All going well, until the group I was in I sat up into z2. With another group 40s away it was sit in, wait and sprint or time trial for 11k. I did the former and didn’t get the workout I wanted.

In hindsight I should have gone earlier with the group up the road, or just tried to reach the breakaway.

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary

Post by JackCurzon » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 pm

I guess that’s the trouble with racing for workouts - the unpredictability (unless you’ve worked out what you want to do in every situation). Still, I bet the first 15 minutes tapped all your high end systems nicely!

@Max: how did you find Henham compared to Hadleigh? Have you managed to go tubeless yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MaxReuter
CX Secretary
summary email: no

Post by MaxReuter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:28 pm

JackCurzon wrote:@Max: how did you find Henham compared to Hadleigh? Have you managed to go tubeless yet?
Re. tubeless: I attempted to go tubeless in a hurry on Saturday morning before heading off to Suffolk (we made a weekend of it), but it seems that the combination of zero experience, a normal track pump and 'in a hurry' is not ideal. Having dripped a lot of sealant everywhere I abandoned and went back to inner tubes for yesterday's race. I didn't have a problem, but I'll make another attempt in a more relaxed and better informed setting!

The race went much better than the last, I moved up from 48th at Hadleigh to 23rd yesterday. Doing the whole race on a bike definitely helps (as does lots of people not showing up, I suppose). I still need to work out eating though, both before and during the race. I started out quite well, lapping relatively consistently for the first three laps (15:38, 15:47, 15:49) but then collapsed a bit in the second half (16:16, 16:54, 17:23). By the end, I was hungry and cold, so definitely (too) empty. Need to take more gels, I think, and do more long rides.

For the course, I probably preferred Hadleigh, which is much more what I would have imagined a mountain bike race to be like. I don't think I would have lost much time by doing Henham on a cross bike, in particular as I haven't really got used to the feel of the mountain bike (or maybe my set-up isn't right) and go through corners much too hesitantly.

We'll miss Lee Valley (but, by the sounds of it, we're not missing too much there), then back for the round after that.

Hope you are recovering?

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary

Post by JackCurzon » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Definitely sounds like a fuelling thing, or maybe you CX peeps just can't pace 90 minutes? :wink: :D

Feeling much better thank you - think I'm back to where I was before being sick! I must admit to liking Lee Valley as it is bit more technical than just blasting down straight fireroads. A good technical rider - not me - can really make time through the berms and twists of the course so it rewards skill. Having said that it is completely flat which means its pretty much flat out all the way and heavier blokes [cough] aren't at such a disadvantage.

Yeah, going tubeless the night before isn't such a good idea but at least you tried! I thought you'd be okay at Henham with tubes but Lee Valley (if you went) would be risky without. Lots of sharp stones and such.

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:01 pm

JackCurzon wrote:Definitely sounds like a fuelling thing, or maybe you CX peeps just can't pace 90 minutes? :wink: :D
Haha, yes, could be a bit of both! It certainly crossed my mind during the early stages of the race that I might be overdoing it slightly...

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 pm

Nice one Max! Its all a learning curve.

I'm desperate to get out in my mountain bike and get a clean race to see where that puts me. I think we would both be next at Carver Barracks 5th May - lots of tight twisty single track with a start / finish down an concrete airstrip, one of my favourites.

I shall be starting at the back and focussing on 4h of course, so not expecting too much.

LeonardDelicaet

Post by LeonardDelicaet » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Love the write ups guys, keep them coming. Nice to see MTBing back on these pages.

Max, MTBing is so physical vis a vis road have you thought you might need a gel per lap - due to it being more start-stop and using your upper body more? i.e. 1 every 15 mins?
How slow comes the hour, its passing speed how great

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:47 pm

The problem is Len, theres not many moments to let go of your handlebars :D

I’ve been handed a new nutrition strategy this year which is focused on carb loading the day - 600g carbs - and morning before - 300g carbs - the event. This leaves me with one caffeine Gel on 60 mins plus a bottle to wake me up a bit.

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary

Post by JackCurzon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:15 pm

Steve Hanks wrote: I shall be starting at the back and focussing on 4h of course, so not expecting too much.
Don't be so pessimistic! After all it's not a lottery - its an off-road time trial! :) From the data I've gathered over the years I think I can estimate where some one will place. You can expect:
  • >300w ftp and @>4.2w/kg top 10%
  • ~300w ftp or @4w/kg top twelve
  • ~280w ftp or @3.6w/kg top half
  • <260w ftp or @3.5kg bottom third.
Obviously course technicality, start, elevation, health and individual power curve will influence this but it wont be a night or day difference. For me the interesting thing is I've never performed differently in a race to what I've done in training in the weeks leading up to an event, i.e. my average weighted power from a race is usually with +/- 5-10w of my ftp, so in a sense all races do is confirm what I know! Last year at Hadleigh I was dead last at start, but I'd done loads of sweetspot work and knew I could ride around 290@3.8 w/kg for 60 minutes so would be able to average that in a race. Low behold that's what I did and came 10th (?) amazing result for me.

So I guess what I'm saying is, if you know what sort of workouts you've been doing and what kind of power you can sustain, I think you should be able to gauge how you're going to do - within reason - and be able to set expectations accordingly. Still a bit depressing watching others vanish up the road but there you go. All you can do is alls you can do...(although I'd argue I'm a bit mentally weak and could try harder, but I think everyone usually thinks that :D )

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary

Post by JackCurzon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:19 pm

LeonardDelicaet wrote:Love the write ups guys, keep them coming. Nice to see MTBing back on these pages.

Max, MTBing is so physical vis a vis road have you thought you might need a gel per lap - due to it being more start-stop and using your upper body more? i.e. 1 every 15 mins?
90min race; one gel at start and one caffine gel half way through does the job! (Plus the carb loaded meal 3 hours before). Bloody hard to eat during a race. Even getting a drink is a struggle sometimes. :cry: Do riders drink in a CX race?

MaxReuter
CX Secretary

Post by MaxReuter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:52 pm

Sorry, chaps, got distracted.

Nobody eats in a cross race, Jack, it's too short. Even drinking is very rare, people really only take a bottle when it's really warm.

Nutrition certainly wasn't optimal last Sunday, neither the night before (a burger and a few chips) nor before the race (two sandwiches at noon). As you say Steve, lots to learn! And a bit of discipline to be developed. It's not that I've never raced before, but sometimes I just get myself sorted. Having stood in the technical zone for an hour and a half during Caroline's, Jules's and Clément's race before probably didn't help in that respect. By the time I had thawed in the car, I had to go on my practice lap. Better next time!

Chris Clague

Post by Chris Clague » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Next up is BOTB though. Plenty of time to eat and drink on the beach- though not on the first lap.

MSG at LVVP is an absolute no-no for me. Course just looks downright dangerous - wouldn’t even (or especially) comm there. Suspect there’s a lot of pressure to make the event happen but one time somebody will get hurt and they’ll not go back. One day some enlightened soul will pick up the pieces and allow proper races (beyond just circuit races).

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Whats dangerous Chris? The only bit that made me nears was the Tarmac downhill start with a metal barriered 90 degrees turn at the end, but they changed that last year to starting in a field. Nothing else would concern me?