2019 UCI XCO MTB World Cup

MTB races, enduros and other organised events
Steve Hanks
Mobile phone: 07421002430
summary email: yes

2019 UCI XCO MTB World Cup

Post by Steve Hanks » Sat May 18, 2019 4:37 pm

This piqued some interest last year. Well, its back on Red Bull TV this weekend live or via replay, complete with Yolanda Neff and her Pearls.

Looks like it could be interesting with current World Champ Kate Courtney on the rise and Nino Schurter being challenge and having a lesser winter than usual, both riding for Scott SRAM.

Exciting stuff no doubt, with Short Track qualifying on Fridays and full XCO on Sundays.

Steve Hanks

Re: 2019 UCI XCO MTB World Cup

Post by Steve Hanks » Mon May 20, 2019 7:28 am

Well, that had everything. A real mix up in the men and women’s order, inept course design, rain, mud, Nino admitting he didn’t have the pace ( I know how that feels this year), and MVDP coming through strong to lead the championship. Both races particularly brutal.

A very technical course next week could change all that very quickly.

JackCurzon
MTB Secretary
Mobile phone: 07811409238

Post by JackCurzon » Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 pm

It was a great race wasn't it. I think the rain saved course from being totally dull. Watching how fast those pros ride down hill in the mud was breath taking...certainly put my muddy Beastway experience in to perspective! Flueckiger was on another level, sending it over a rock I didn't see anyone tackle in the dry!

I don't think the results are a one off either. Nino is going to really have to fight to win the world cup this year. His main advantage, I think, is his abilities across all courses. I'm not sure any other rider is as all-rounded.

Haven't watched the women's race yet (but know result). All I can say in Annika Lamovad is the antithesis of a MTB rider; she doesn't like technical, she doesn't like mud - really, she needs to get on the road or do rowing.
"Great minds think alike, idiots seldom differ"
Mobs: 07811 409238

Steve Hanks

Post by Steve Hanks » Tue May 21, 2019 8:08 am

to get on the road or do rowing.
Lol, harsh but fair.

In the aftermath, Nino coughed up on Instagram that he just couldn't follow the leaders pace, thats ominous for his season. At the same time, I read that MVDP has a 400w FTP. Blimey. Lars is out for a few weeks also. So, next weekend will be very interesting. Its technical which suits Nino, but has his form dropped?

On things for sure Kate Courtney looked very strong. I found the whole weekend quite inspiring TBH.